Al-Maknounieh is an old village that stands on the top of hill, surrounded by valleys and protected by mountains from all directions. Thus the old Phoenician word Ken, which means to hide or to stay still, that the name Al-Maknounieh was derived from.
During the Ottoman rule in Lebanon, Al-Maknounieh was part of Mount Lebanon.
A Cheikh ruled it or what we call today a Mayor like all other larger towns.
Al-Maknounieh is part of district of JEZZINE. It is located on a rectangular hill that rises from a valley surrounded by mountains from all directions.
Al-Maknounieh is located between Haytourah to the East and Kaytouleh to the North, Roum and the properties of Kattine Monastery to the West, and Hidab and Snaiya to the South.
Al-Maknounieh is about 73 Km from Beirut, and 888 meters above sea level.
Al-Maknounieh is about 1.350 Km2, two third of which is covered by forests and trees like Olive, Grape, and fig trees. The municipality owns about half of that area that contain around 12000 pine trees that are considered the primary source of the municipality income.
In 1956, all the homes in Al-Maknounieh were destroyed due to the earthquake that struck the south of Lebanon. Afterward, the National Committee for Reconstruction helped rebuild 12 of those homes, and the resident of Al-Maknounieh rebuilt about 40 homes. Currently there are about 50 homes in Al-Maknounieh.
The populations of Al-Maknounieh, according to government records (current residents and non residents) is 1142 and are all of the Aoun family name, in the last few years, additional small families moved to Al-Maknounieh and are-Akoury, Badra, Andary.
Al-Maknounieh has 575 people eligible to vote, 298 female and 277 males.